9 Things You Won't Want to Miss at the Missouri State Fair
August 06, 2019
Adventure awaits at the 2019 Missouri State Fair, August 8 - 18, in Sedalia, Missouri. This fair highlights the best of the best in the state including Missouri wines. Before you head to the fair, put the following must-see, must-do items on your bucket list.
1. Missouri Food and Wine Pairing Classes - Sample delicious Missouri wines during our wine classes at the Missouri Wine tent located across from the Grand Stand. You’ll learn about the Missouri wine industry while experiencing Missouri wines and the local cheeses and meat that pair perfectly with them. We offer 10 classes during the state fair – a noon and 2 pm class on Thursdays and Fridays and a noon class offered on Saturdays at the fair. The cost for the classes are $5 per person. This year, our classes will feature a giveaway from the Missouri Lottery.
2. Missouri Wines Cooking Contests - One of Julia Child’s most memorable sayings was “I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.” On Thursday, August 8, the Missouri Wine and Grape Board will sponsor two different cooking contests: Cooking with Missouri Wine and Cooking with Missouri Wine – Just Desserts. During the contest, entries are tasted and judged by food industry experts. The top three entries receive cash prizes and have their recipes featured on Missouriwine.org. Stop by the Home Ec building and see how the contestants have incorporated wine into their entrée or dessert.
3. Discover a Variety of Missouri Wines - It’s impossible to cover all of the amazing wines you’ll find in Missouri wine country in just one wine and food pairing class. We invite you to experience a variety of wines under the Missouri Wine tent. This is a unique opportunity to taste wines from across the state side-by-side. While you’re there, check out our display featuring the Best of Class wines from the 2019 Missouri Wine Competition.
4. Happy Hour(s) at the State Fair - Enjoy delicious wines from the oldest continuously owned family winery in the country. Wine and wine slushies from Adam Puchta Winery will be available for purchase at the Bistro located in the Taylor Woods Youth building from 10:30 am to 4 pm.
5. Missouri Lottery - We are excited to announce a unique partnership between Missouri Wines and the Missouri Lottery. During the Missouri State Fair, you’ll have the opportunity to purchase “MO Wines and MO Winners” Scratchers tickets before they are made available to the general public. You can purchase your $5 ticket at the Missouri Lottery booth in the MO-Ag Theatre or from the vending machine located inside the Agriculture building. Stop by the Missouri Wine tent and register for the chance to win a bundle of Missouri Lottery tickets! (The public will be able to purchase MO Wines and MO Winners Scratchers tickets at retail locations starting August 26.)
6. Missouri Travel Alliance’s Tourism Trade Show - See the best of the best from communities across the state on Thursday, August 15 from 10 am to 5 pm at Lowell Mohler Assembly Hall. Stop by our table for information about the local wine industry as well as fun giveaways. Don’t miss your opportunity to participate in a complimentary wine tasting that afternoon. Get your wristband for the wine tasting while they last!
7. Find the Missouri Wine Giveaway - New this year! Find the Missouri Wines logo on the fairgrounds and you’ll have the opportunity to win free Pepsi Grandstand and State Fair Arena tickets. Keep an eye on the Missouri State Fair’s Facebook page for announcements posted multiple times throughout the day. If you’re the first person to find our logo, you’ll win the tickets.
8. Unique Photo Op - Look for our inflatable wine bottle right outside the Missouri Wine tent for a one-of-a-kind photo at the state fair.
9. Can’t resist a corn dog or funnel cake? - Enjoy your favorite fair foods with the Missouri wines that pair perfectly with them. (See numbers 3 and 4 on how to find your #1 wines at the fair.)