August 30, 2016
September is Missouri Wine Month. What does that mean exactly? It means it’s the perfect time to discover or rediscover the beauty that is your local, award-winning wine scene. There are 130 wineries in the state and the industry has a $1.76 billion impact each year. There are so many wonderful things to experience in Missouri wine country. Here are some ideas on how you can celebrate #MOwineMonth!
- Visit a Missouri Winery. With 130 in the state, you’re never far from one, and September is the perfect time to check out a new one… or several.
- Sign up for MVP and start earning rewards for exploring wine country. This new program is as simple as 1, 2, 3. 1) Visit wineries. 2) Earn points. 3) Get rewards. What are you waiting for?
- Go on a wine trail. There are ten different wine trails throughout the state, each offering a unique experience. A wine trail is a great way to get to know several wineries in an area.
- Master the 5S’s of wine tasting. See, swirl, smell, sip, savor… repeat. Become a pro with this guide.
- Discover a new varietal. You may have noticed we don’t grow the grapes you’re used to hearing about. Missouri has demanding weather and winemakers have found that hybrid grapes and Native American varieties grow the best in the Show Me State. Discover some of these awesome varieties at a winery or your local retailer.
- Take a winery/vineyard tour. There’s no better way to learn than to immerse yourself. Winery and vineyard tours take you into the heart of the winemaking culture, and September is the perfect time for it because it’s harvest season!
- Host a local wine tasting (+ local cheese for the win!). Have some friends, family over for a fun night of wine tasting featuring local wines. Add some delicious local cheese to really take your event over the edge!
- Pair Missouri wine with your favorite foods. Food and wine are meant to go together. Use this guide to find which Missouri wines pair perfectly with your favorite fare.
- Add complexity to your cooking/baking by incorporating local wines. Cooking and baking with wine is fun and delicious. Try one of these recipes.
- Share your Missouri vino adventures with us on social media. #MOwineMonth Let’s get social! You can find Missouri Wines on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and YouTube.
Cheers to Missouri Wine Month! Let’s celebrate.
*Bonus* Check out the exciting events going on in wine country through our calendar.